Thursday, January 4, 2007

Deep Thoughts

Man, I am drained of deep thoughts lately.

I had an interesting conversation with my 8-yr-old son the other day, though.

He was trying to figure out how we can KNOW good from bad, and he said, “What if nature is turned the other way around and good is really bad, and bad is really good?”

So we had a nice Platonic dialogue about what constitutes goodness and what constitutes badness and came up with the usual answers.

But he couldn’t leave well enough alone, and kept going back to “what if everything is backwards?”

I told him that all we can do is look at the evidence around us, and if there is no evidence that everything is backwards, we have to assume it’s not. Then I told him about Kant, and his head was spinning!

It was really cool to watch the little gears turn in his head, and I’m looking forward to many more discussions like this as he grows. There’s no RULE that teenagers have to be distant from their parents, is there? I love talking to my boys, I don’t want to miss out on these conversations when they start really reading and thinking for themselves. Though the only way they could really rebel would be to become religious or something. Maybe they’ll experiment with Buddhism, that would be cool.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a cool little philosopher on your hands. That's great. You must be a great mum. This world doesn't have enough of those :)
-Jason

Heather Annastasia said...

How sweet! Thank you.

Misplaced said...

Wow, that is one clever kid. You sound like a very patient and interested mother.

I don't know if there is a rule about teenagers not being close to their parents- it is probably healthy for teens to rebel.

Heather Annastasia said...

Yeah, I guess rebelling is good for kids.

Sigh…

sinincincinnati said...

"Then I told him about Kant, and his head was spinning!"

I'm having a glass of "Kant" as we speak.
Seriously, many parents think children are their tickets to raise them (parents) to some sort of socially acceptable stress level which they can then share with friends as they do about Fantasy Football. This attitude shows such disrespect for children as human beings.
Keep on keeping on as you are, Heather and your 8-year old son!

Heather Annastasia said...

Children are great little human beings. Everthing is there; love, joy, greed, cruelty and nobility, but it's pure and raw and honest.