The Patriot Act and Military Commissions Act give the Executive branch the power to:
- Spy on anyone, including American citizens, with no warrant
- Abduct anyone, including American citizens, with no warrant
- Detain anyone, including American citizens, without charging them, without giving them access to an attorney, without telling them what they're suspected of, and without notifying anyone of their detention
- Use "necessary," though not clearly defined levels of force to extract information
- Prosecute anyone, including American citizens, in a military tribunal (not a court of law) without the accused person being present to answer the charges that are brought against them
These two Acts render the Constitution of the United States of America null and void (and the Magna Carta for that matter).
How can we fight for freedom if we have no freedom for which to fight?? (sorry about the tongue twister. Say that 5 times fast! (No don't, they may think you're chanting and come for you in the middle of the night.))
Luckily, we have a system of checks and balances.
The Democrats have taken control of Congress, and I'm sure this issue is on the very top of their to-do list.
... Oh, right. Those Democrats.
Well, we have the courts! No honest US. judge or attorney will allow this.
...Oh, right. The Bush Administration is in the process of firing U.S. Attorneys who don't tow the line and replacing them with party loyalists (bypassing congressional approval thanks to provisions in -come on, let's say it together- The Patriot Act!).
But we always have the Supreme Court to fall back on! The Supreme Court Justices are above party loyalties.