Thursday, December 14, 2006

Crimes Against Humanity

Why is it, that while we have people hungry in our own country, intelligent kids who will never see the inside of a college classroom, and bipolar people homeless on the streets because the only other place we can put them is prison, does our current president and his cronies feel that we have a right to decide how other nations should be governed?

Who gave President Bush the moral authority to kill innocent women, children, students, truck drivers, entertainers, businessmen, mothers, fathers, grandparents, trash collectors, and everyone else in Iraq who was, like us, just trying to live their life and make a life for their children?

They say that the violence and death in Iraq from this war will have serious implications for generations. Generations of Iraqis will hate America, hate the western world, and worst of all hate each other because our president thinks he’s taking these orders from a benevolent god.

There are countries in Africa who have been in chaos for generations because the western colonial powers, when they finally realized they couldn’t control the people, pulled out and watched as sectarian rivalries turned into mass movements of genocide.

So what are we to do? The American public will never commit the manpower and money needed to stabilize Iraq (if that’s even possible after what this administration has done). The only other options are staying there and continuing to terrorize and bludgeon the Iraqi population as more and more of our boys die for nothing, or withdrawing completely and letting Iraq disintegrate into the pre-Saddam dark ages of it’s past where, like Africa, rival groups will continue to slaughter each other for generations.

Let’s face it, the Nazi’s were not forced to pay for their crimes because they were evil; the Nazi’s were forced to pay for their crimes because they lost the war. The chances of Bush, Cheney, Rummie, or any of these people ever paying for the misery they have wrought across the human race are slim to none. I wish I could believe that they have hell to look forward to.

3 comments:

Sinincincinnati said...

Well stated Heather as were your comments over on Reason Magazine's Hit & Run blog site.
I can see so many similarities between this mess we're in and Vietnam. Here's why. Vietnam began to get my attention in about 1964 mainly because I could foresee my career after college being disrupted by the draft. Sure enough. Then, by the time I got there in late 1968 I had had unusual training and knowledge about the VN people and culture. The Marine Corps sent me as an officer to Vietnamese Language school until I was conversational in the language. After that I went to Civil Affairs training at the Army's Fort Gordon, GA. In VN, because of a variety of assignments plus my training, I had a bigger-picture view than most military folks. Forgive me for saying I understood the VN people better than our President, Kissinger, McNamara... you name the person/"leader," who kept insisting on more insanity. Plus I saw the mistakes before my eyes.
I realized then that the US military simply cannot go into a country and have good come from it. When I left the Marine Corps in 1970, I naturally lost much the urgency of my interest in VN. But here's the saddest part: Americans kept dying there for how many more years? Three. Then South VN became communist. And I can hardly bear to think of my Vietnamese friends and associates who suffered terribly or were killed after 1973 under the regime of the North.

sinincincinnati said...

A letter in today's NYT:
Re “The Time Is Now” (column, Dec. 11): Bob Herbert so poignantly states, “There is something agonizingly tragic about soldiers dying in a war that has already been lost.”

I never thought that there would be another Vietnam war in my lifetime. How could President Bush have gotten us into this mess when the lesson of history is so fresh in our minds?

But then I guess my memories of the Vietnam era, not to speak of the memories of the soldiers who had to fight, are quite different from Mr. Bush’s memories of that time.

Pamela Keating
Dover, Mass., Dec. 12, 2006

Heather Annastasia said...

"our President, Kissinger, McNamara..."

Speaking of people who should be tried for crimes against humanity.

But what's the solution? Wait... that's a stupid question, let me rephrase it: What action can we take now that will cause the least damage to the future generations of Iraqis?

Ooh, that should be the next thread topic.