Saturday, January 20, 2007

Against All Odds

My husband is the sweetest man on earth, maybe the universe.

I've been a bit down lately, and he called me at work yesterday to inform me that he had arranged for his brother to watch the kids and had made reservations at a restaurant we couldn't afford. I tried to protest, but it was just such a nice gesture.

We had a wonderful evening.

We've been married for about 9 years, and it was a rough ride for a long time. There were times that I didn't think we would make it, and I wasn't even sure I wanted to.

I was nineteen, and had known him for only a few months when I became pregnant with triplets. Our youth, our tumultuous childhoods, our poverty, and losing a child (Conrad) all make it statistically improbable that we are still married-- and happy.

It wasn't easy to get to where we are now, but I'm so glad we're here.

3 comments:

Larry Gross said...

It's nice that your husband took you out to eat - must be nice to live in a city that can support nice restaurants. In Cincinnati, most of them close up.

Just curious about something......

How many McDonald's do you have in your downtown area?

Heather Annastasia said...

I'm not sure about how many McDonald's there are downtown, but every time we go downtown (which is a lot), we remark at the difference from Cincinnati.

First of all, there is Horton Plaza, a beautiful outdoor mall that is always packed with people.

The Embarcadero (a place on the bay with restaurants and boat museums) is always packed. Then there's Seaport Village that's full of shops and restaurants. Balboa park is filled with hiking trails, museums, community centers, artisan booths, cultural centers, and a restaurant. The zoo is world renown, but we can rarely afford to go.

The suburbs are great too. The coastal neighborhoods have beaches and the inland neighborhoods have mountains (I'm off to climb a mountain right now, as a matter f fact). The entire city is connected with bike trails, the trolley and a commuter train (and a commuter train that goes to L.A.).

The downtown is always packed and vibrant. My boys' choir was singing a part in the Nutcracker, and when I dropped them off at the Civic Center downtown, I would just walk around for two hours. There was so much to see, I never got bored. Horton Plaza put up an outdoor ice skating rink, and that was fun to watch. There's another mall here with an indoor rink all year round.

Larry Gross said...

Downtown Cincinnati can't even support a McDonald's. They closed.