Friday, February 23, 2007

Fear of Clowns

Misplaced had a post about fears which got me thinking about my fear of clowns.

For some reason, I can tolerate Krusty.

When I was four, my babysitter made a toy clown for me. It had a plastic face and a knitted rainbow-colored body.

It's possible that I hated and feared the clown because I hated and feared the babysitter's teenage son in ways my four-year-old psyche couldn't really understand.

Regardless of the reason, I loathed the clown. My parents set it on top of the chest of drawers at the foot of my bed. It was by the window, and at night the moonlight cut rigid lines of light and shadows across it's squinting, grinning face.

Even when I hid beneath my covers I could feel it staring at me.

Squinting.

Grinning.

I think I had already turned five when I'd had enough. I needed to get rid of it, but I couldn't reach it. I decided to pull the dresser drawers out like stairs, climb up there, grab the clown and throw it in the closet.

I got halfway up the chest of drawers when the whole thing toppled over and pinned me against the bed. That damned clown must have figured out my plan!

My dad came in yelling at me. The moment he freed me from the chest, I seized the clown and threw it into the closet. Victory!

But I've never really shaken free of my fear of clowns. I'm not terrified of them or anything, they just really give me the creeps.

4 comments:

sinincincinnati said...

If you've been to Opryland, you know that they have "musical instruments" stolling through the park mingling with guests. Kings Island used to have Hanna Barbera characters.
Anyway, I remember when our daughter was just old enough to walk. A friendly "guitar" walked up, and daughter was traumatized.
I couldn't believe it, but I quickly realized that fears are real.
She's still sensitive, but we respect that... even love her for it.

Heather Annastasia said...

I used to work at King's Island, and it's funny because I've seen kids chase down Scooby to hug him, then burst into tears when face-to-face with him.

Too cute!

People dressed as clowns left me alone when I was little. They must have been able to see from a distance that I was having none of it.

People in costumes had a hard time staying in character around me. I'd say, "Aren't you hot in there?" or "Are you wearing any clothes under that?"

sinincincinnati said...

Speaking of clowns...us!
On the other site, Sinincincinnatians seem to have a phobia of you and me, judging by the "Hell" topic.

Heather Annastasia said...

What do you mean?

I think we've been making progress over there.

When the blog first started, I made a rather tame post about the Garden of Eden and all hell broke loose! Larry had to delete a bunch of comments.

BTW, Sixteen is creeping me out. Too much like my dad. I hope my dad didn't find his way to the LOL blog site!!