Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hilary

Well, it seems like Hilary may have a shot at the presidency.

I'm torn on Hilary. For the most part, I like her, but her stance on the war ranges from ambiguous to odd. She voted for the war every chance she got, but now that it's unpopular she's backtracking. A few weeks ago she proposed cutting the funding for Iraqi troops to encourage them to "step up."

1) I really hate it when we talk about Iraqis "taking responsibility for themselves." Excuse me? We destroy their infrastructure, stand by and watch as chaos ensues, execute their leadership, and then we say, "What's wrong with you people? You really need to get your act together!"

2) Cutting funds to make institutions perform better doesn't make any logical sense, especially when their poor performance is already largely because of a lack of resources not a lack of willingness.

3) I'm really tired of previously pro-war Democrats saying they were duped into voting for the war. I wasn't duped, and I'm just an average person, how could they have been fooled so easily? I knew as soon as Bush got appointed that we were going to war, probably with Iraq. I knew on September 11th that this was going to give Bush a blank check for war. I watched Colin Powell's presentation to the U.N. and said, "What a bunch of bullshit!" Sure, most people thought my husband and I were crazy, but shouldn't people in congress be a little more politically astute than the average American?

Okay, back to Hilary. For the most part, I think she'd make a good president or VP, and it would be nice to have a woman at the helm.

Still, my vote is for Kucinich. He's never been duped and never compromised his integrity.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her and think she would make a great president.

Heather Annastasia said...

Great.

Why?

sinincincinnati said...

"I'm really tired of previously pro-war Democrats saying they were duped into voting for the war. I wasn't duped, and I'm just an average person, how could they have been fooled so easily?"

Amen!
With the benefit of hindsight, can't we see that "top secret intelligence" is nowhere near as complete nor accurate as what was available in New Yorker magazine, or on the Reason Hit & Run website and lots of other places?
Plus, I'm sorry, but WMD--true or not--did not cause me to foam at the mouth and demand a war.

Misplaced said...

I'm find with people doing the switch-a-roo as long as they are anti- war today.

It will be interesting to see if these official who claim to have been duped (I don't buy it) are duped again when Bush decides it's time to invade Iran.

By the way- I enjoy your writing a great deal.

Heather Annastasia said...

Thank you, that really means a lot to me.

As for Iran, my stomach hurts when I think about it.

Heather Annastasia said...

I don't have a problem with politicians changing their minds.

I could even respect them if they they said, "Look, I'm here to represent the voters and the voters have changed their minds."

I just question their sincerity.