Friday, March 9, 2007

Why Politics?


In an attempt to become a successful blogger, I've been reading Mr. Steve Pavlina's blog. He's awesome, and I plan on incorporating a lot of his strategies, but his take on politics is disheartening.

He says that in the grand scheme of things, politics and current events are insignificant, and not really worth writing about. I get what he's saying, and I agree that people have very short attention spans, but I think that's why writing about politics and current events is so important.

I think it's the History Channel who has been running documentaries on Barbarians for the last week, and I've been riveted. I came to several epiphanies while watching these shows, so stay with me here, because I'm going to come full circle and make a point about the importance of writing about current events.

Rome warred its way right into oblivion, and I see the United States on the same track. If they weren't warring with someone, they were interfering in their politics; keeping neighboring regions in conflict with each other, staging coups from within tribes, assassinating troublesome leaders. All in the name of power, and where did Rome end up in the end?

Mr. Pavlina is right that scandals, even wars and tragedies, come and go, and if it's not one thing it's another. But I think that's why we have to pay attention to what's going on around us. We've all heard the old cliché that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

The human tragedy that is the Bush Administration is fleeting and temporal, but humanity's predisposition to allowing leaders like those in the Bush cabinet to come into power will remain eternal until more individuals start paying attention to what's going on around them.

3 comments:

Jason said...

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Stargate. (yes, I know I'm a geek) Forgive me for drawing parallels from a sci-fi show, but it draws interesting social commentary. All of the very advanced civilizations won't have anything to do with us because our greed and arrogance makes us blow each other up. Every time we help another underdeveloped world/civilization by sharing weapons technology, they blow each other up with it.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that current events are insignificant. how can one say that what happens now has no bearing on the future. That kind of thinking has fatalism at the core. The problem that we face is waiting for trancendance, meaning the ability to look beyond property and power and see the need for us as humans to use are mind and think of the help we can give to others. We need to accomplish that goal individually. If each person were to devote just a few hours a day to help out a cause or at least pay attention and voice there complaints the world leaders will change their methods and being working on the peoples goals and not their own private pursuit of power and money.At this moment people ar developing generators that produce electricity from compressed air! Not only are they developing but it exists as a car engine with a range of almost two hundred miles! new methods of recycling are being developed, the real test will come when the worlds land and metal is consumed by towns and cities and progress. As of yet no child limit has ever be completly sucessful, the Chinese did a good job but with huge abortion rates and staggering infanticide. With a population that doubles every ten years we will have almost 14 billion people on the planet in 2014,28 billion in 2026( I will be forty-one.),56 billion in 2036,112 billion in 2046,224 billion in 2056,448 billion in 2066,896 billion in 2076,1 trillion-seven hundred and ninty six billion people will be alive in 2086( I will be 101 years old if I live that long.) 3592 trillion in 2096, 7184 trillion people,this will be are population in the year 2107. We need to prevent this from happening and we need to work harder at supporting green energy and global peace.

Heather Annastasia said...

In preparation to make a print version of my blog so I have a hard copy, I'm going through my blog from the very first post and cleaning it up in terms of broken links and images that the powers that be have replaced with a big yellow question mark.

I am refraining from making content changes other than small edits for clarity; indeed there are a few posts that I no longer really agree with, but I'm leaving them as-is.

And there are posts that I don't really remember writing, but this guy! Steve Palvina? Who the heck is he? I have no recollection of being a fan.

Also, over the last year, in the context of the most maddening election ever, I saw a hilarious amendment to the quote, those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.

...and those who do study history are doomed to stand by helplessly while everyone else repeats it.