Sunday, April 6, 2008

Blackwater in the Shadows

Often, when you talk politics, there's a certain disinterested glaze that comes over the eyes of the majority of people. Granted more people are interested these days; more people are seeing the connection between the politics in Washington and their own lives. Still, politics may be considered by many to be a boring subject.

But I can honestly say that I've never seen that glaze come over anyone's eyes when I mention Blackwater. As a matter of fact, I would argue that Blackwater, a private mercenary force hired by the US government that is in the midst of a serious investigation, is a subject that most Americans find very interesting.

I would even go so far as to say that if the government's renewal of Blackwater's license in Iraq were on the front page of a newspaper today, that company would sell more newspapers.

So the facts that a) Americans are interested in Blackwater, and b) the US has renewed Blackwater's license in Iraq, and c) you won't find that information in any major American news publication (let alone on the front cover) lead me to declare that this is a blatant case of censorship in the American news media.

Of course, we don't need an official policy of censorship like North Korea or Saudi Arabia. Fortunately for Bush and his cronies, all the major media outlets in this country are owned by six corporations.

So when something important happens, like the US renewing the license of a private militia that many Americans feel has too much power and too little oversight, where are Americans supposed to get that information? Fortunately for the American people, the government has not yet found a way to censor the internet. You could go to Al Jazeera English and find the Blackwater story on the front page under "Americas".

You could also find this information an at The News is NowPublic.com, MWC News, or Newstin, though it's worth noting that all these sources got the story from Al Jezeera.

So, what I would like to know is why a foreign newspaper is a more reliable source of impor
tant information than all our news outlets put together??

Oh, right; because ALL OUR NEWS OUTLETS ARE PUT TOGETHER!

8 comments:

nunya said...

Another good one, thanks :)

We don't blog
so everyone will love us, eh?

One of my prized possessions is a signed copy of Jeremy Scahill's book on Blackwater, it's at the bottom of the posts.

Bush said...

I don't know what you're griping about. You act like it's easy to keep information from the American public.

Let me tell you, my job would be a lot easier if this were a dictatorship.

So long as I was the dictator!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for all the great info. I was browsing through a bunch of political websites and blogs (mostly liberal ones) and I came across your blog and find it to be very interesting. There are a bunch of others I like too, like huff post, and other news sites like politico. Do you know of any that cover politics and the environment? I saw earthlab.com which has mostly environmental info but some politics. I took EarthLab.com’s carbon calculator (http://www.earthlab.com/signupprofile/). I was pretty easy to use (and it doesn’t make me feel guilty after I take it). Are there any other blogs you would recommend? Can you drop me a link to your favorites or any ones with green info?

Heather Annastasia said...

Anonymous,

Hmmm... politics and environment... You know, that seems like such a common sense combination, but I can't think of any, especially if you're looking for one sans the guilt-trip.

Black Sun Journal, which is on my blogroll, has an environmental agenda, but it's mostly an anti-religion blog.

I consider myself an environmentalist, but I'm shunned from most environmentalist groups because I don't buy into the man-made global warming scare (the global climate has never been stable, and it never will, whether we're here or not).

Here are some of the discussions we've had on this blog:

science daily article

Global Warming

GLobal Warming Movie

Heather Annastasia said...

Oops, forgot these:

Global Climate History

New Environmental Menace

Tripp Williams said...

So you think Bush controls the media and told them not run a story about Blackwater? If anybody controls the media it is Barack Obama. Chris Mathews on CNBC actually said on the air," I felt this thrill going up my leg" in reference to a speech given by Barack. Nobody in the media ever said anything like that about Bush. They spent all their time making fun of his verbal gaffs. The media hates Bush, just ask Dan Rather if you can find him. Isn't it much more likely that the media simply felt that American's wouldn't really care? I know you and your friends care, but you are being self-centered if you think you represent 300 million people. Besides, aren't you glad your aren't like everyone else?

Heather Annastasia said...

Mr. Williams,

Most of my answer is in the form of a new post.

As for the media picking on Bush's gaffs, I think that's to avoid talking about the fact that he needs to be prosecuted for war crimes and crimes against humanity, and if it were illegal, crimes against good common sense.

Focusing on Bush's gaffs is like focusing on Charles Manson's swastika tattoo; sure it's a symptom of the bigger problem, but wouldn't we be doing a grave injustice to his victims if that's the only thing on which we focus?

krulayar said...

ALLAH THE ALMIGHTY IS ALREADY ON EARTH !!!

The sigh of His arrival: A face in the sky video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_OAauYfPwE

For details:
Please stop in http://manaalmahdi.wordpress.com
Please refer to someone incharge fitted whatever doctrine you are.
This is an exceptionally distinguished essence fitted all mankind.

Thanks,
Krulayar