Monday, August 10, 2015

On your mark, get set...

As election season commences, I'm looking forward to getting my blog in gear and having some great conversations and debates with friends and strangers alike.

I thought about kicking it off with a post about the hows and whys of the dangerous political polarity that is becoming more and more entrenched in our modern society, but I will save that topic for another discussion.

I decided that I would rather spend some time talking about my personal belief system, in order to provide some context for the political discussions to follow.

There is a Chinese proverb that says: Joy shared, is doubled while sorrow shared, is halved. I believe that this is the mathematics of life, by which I mean that life transcends arithmetic; that we are more than the sum of our parts.

My moral code is pretty simple:

It is the duty of the strong to protect the weak.

It is the duty of the learned to teach the ignorant.

It is the duty of the able to care for the feeble.

It is the duty of the haves to provide for the have-nots.

My belief system is not based on "rights" or what any individual "deserves" or "is entitled to," but on the principle that our society thrives when we each work to one another's mutual benefit.

Does that mean it's wrong for people who work harder to have more than everyone else? Absolutely not. I wouldn't even say that it's wrong for people who were born with a lot to have more than others.

My position is simply that our fate is intertwined, and we rise or fall together, whether we like it or not.

In every ghetto, slum and refugee camp, great minds are going to waste for lack of basic nutrition, healthcare, and education. There are Mozarts and Louis Armstrongs who will never pick up an instrument, Toni Morrisons who will never learn to read, Madame Curies who will never touch a microscope, and Malala Yousafzais who will be sold and impregnated before their 12th birthdays.

We are all poorer for those losses, no matter how rich we believe ourselves to be.

And lastly, I believe that any words or actions rooted in love are devine and blessed, and any words or actions rooted in fear are evil and cursed.